A Guide to Choosing the Right Test Automation Framework
A test automation framework is a credible platform that maximizes the effectiveness of test automation activities. Every software project has different requirements in terms of duration, choosing the tools etc. The main objective for a business involved in carrying out a software development project is to select the right test automation framework that can prove to be worthwhile for your project specific needs. The overall quality of the product can be enhanced and rewarding results can be expected through the strategic implementation of a test automation framework. There are of course other key components also that lead to project success. A test automation framework is one of those components.
In this article, you will get to know the key factors that help in choosing the right test automation framework.
What is a test automation framework?
A test automation framework is a credible platform of programs, compilers and tools that aid automated test scripts. A framework is generally a set of rules that an application follows in order to produce beneficial results. A test automation framework provides a set of reusable code snippets and internal libraries through which automated test scripts can run seamlessly. A secure method is set up for automated tests to run and thus for the entire application or project, a uniform test code syntax is provided.
Following are the five key factors that help in choosing the right test automation framework:
1. The project requirements need to be clearly understood: Project specifications such as the future scope of the project, the project that needs to be run on possible environments and team bandwidth are some of the important points that need to be taken into consideration. Project requirements need to be clearly understood in order to ascertain the right time of framework needed for an application and whether the frameworks should be combined or not, depending upon the context.
2. Research the market: Businesses need to invest a sizeable amount of time to understand and research the market properly in order to select the right test automation framework. In most of the scenarios, businesses opt for a blend of both commercial frameworks such as TestComplete and open-source frameworks such as Appium and Selenium.
3. Stakeholder inputs can prove to be rewarding: A test automation framework is a set of libraries and common testing tools that specific teams are entitled to use. When a framework is being set up, obtaining stakeholders’ inputs can be considered beneficial for an organization. Specific teams that are going to use the test automation framework must communicate their basic application necessities and priorities.
4. Strategic alignment: The ultimate aim of implementing a test automation framework is to streamline and increase the productivity of software development and testing activities. Hence, the test automation framework should be strategically aligned with the business objectives of the organization. The framework should be in line with the software development guidelines and timelines and thus prove to be beneficial from both a financial and efficiency perspective.
5. The strategic benefit of implementing a test automation framework: According to research, the growth projection (CAGR) for automation testing is said to reach 15% by 2026. The software development process has become easier and faster through the implementation of an automation framework by providing environments and test suites that are in exact accordance with the business needs.
In fact, there are test automation tools that support a wide variety of object repositories, test environments and programming languages.
Conclusion: If you are looking forward to implementing a test automation framework for your specific project, then do get connected with a top-notch Test Automation services that will provide you with a viable testing strategy that is in line with your project specific requirements.
About the author: I am a technical content writer focused on writing technology specific articles. I strive to provide well-researched information on the leading market savvy technologies.