How to Develop a Test Automation Framework From Scratch?
Frameworks play a pivotal role in optimizing the test automation processes and thus improving the overall scope of test automation. Through a well-defined and well-designed test automation framework, maintenance costs and testing efforts are reduced to a great extent thereby streamlining the testing process. The agile processes can be optimized and the system/product/ application can be improved consistently.
In this article, you will get to know how to develop a test automation framework from scratch.
What is a test automation framework?
It is a set of rules and guidelines that are used to design and create test cases. Reporting structure and a standardized test language are provided for application under test and also reducing test maintenance costs. The tests can be linked back with frameworks to other parts of the Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC) process such as enabling teams to find and fix bugs faster and verify requirements and defects.
The focus of test automation frameworks is to optimize automated processes. Faster cycles are facilitated through test reusability and also through speeding up the maintenance and test creation process by separating the test data from the logic. Out of the many types of test automation frameworks, the right test automation framework needs to be selected based upon the specific project requirements.
Following are the three phases required to develop a test automation framework from scratch:
1. Planning Phase:
This phase acts as a foundation step for optimizing the testing strategies.
Following are the key points in this phase:
· The specific test automation framework that needs to be worked upon
· Analyzing the specific pain points that can be addressed by the framework
· A suitable test automation framework tool needs to be selected
· The test automation framework tool that has been selected should be in line with the team’s activities.
The planning phase focuses on selecting the right test automation framework. In order to calculate the efficiency of the framework, the framework’s ROI needs to be measured. In order to measure the ROI, specific points need to be noted down pertaining to test case execution and then analyze whether the specific test automation framework can provide a higher ROI or not.
2. Development phase:
The designing of the test automation framework takes place in line with the project requirements. Proper notes should be taken in terms of the benefits and challenges that may arise while designing a test automation framework. The customers’ pain points should be scrutinized and see to that they can be solved by the framework. The design process should include key professionals such as automation architects, engineers etc.
Depending upon the project scenario, a specific framework can be selected as per the needs from the list of frameworks as mentioned below:
· Data-driven framework
· Library architecture framework
· Modular based test framework
· Table-driven framework
· Linear framework
· Keyword-driven framework and
· Hybrid framework.
3. Implementation phase: In this phase, the focus is on implementing test automation frameworks properly, so that valuable results can be derived. A testing framework is implemented as a part of the product lifecycle. A two-step code review needs to be done and the specific business standards should be followed.
Following are a few key steps that can be considered:
· A fast yet accurate test execution solution can be detected
· Important test environments need to be tested and regularly debugged
· Test data needs to be stored separately
· The testing steps need to be properly documented.
Following are a few benefits of the test automation framework:
· Project resource costs are reduced
· Maintenance of code can be done in an appropriate manner
· Code can be reused
· The application functionality is improved
· The test efficiency is increased with proper test automation.
Conclusion: If you are looking forward to implementing a test automation framework for your specific project, then do get connected with a professionally acclaimed software testing services company that will provide you tactical and pragmatic testing solutions that is precisely in line with your project specific requirements.
About the author: I am a technical content writer focused on writing technology specific articles. I strive to provide well-researched information on the leading market savvy technologies.